The file browser allows to navigate through the directoryhierarchy of your iPhone or iPod Touch. All supported file typesshow with an icon with a colored symbol. To navigate up in thehierarchy use the left navigation bar button. To navigate down thehierarchy just select a folder. If you touch a file, the associatedviewer will display or play the file (movies and sound). If no vieweris associated with the file, iFile will show a list of applicationsor viewers so that you can choose the one you want to use. To returnto the home directory of user mobile you just need to use thebutton. The file browser allows you also to search for file names basedon an entered search pattern. This search functionality is possible innormal and editing mode.
By pressing thebutton you can change iFile's preferences:
- Set on exit: If you switch this to on, iFile will storethe current directory when leaving. When switched to off, you canset the directory that iFile should start with.
- Hidden Files: When switched off, hidden files (starting with a dot) will not be shown by iFile. When on all hidden files and directories will be displayed.
- Song Titles: When switched on, audio files (mp3 and m4v) willbe displayed with their song title instead of their file name.
- Thumbnails: When switched on, a thumbnail image will be displayedfor every image file smaller than 1MB instead of the according icon.
- Theme Name: Selecting this field you get a list of allavailable graphical themes including file icons and mime-type definitions.
- Sort Order: Choosing the Sort Order field you canselect in which order iFile should list directory contents:
- Sort by Name
- Sort by Extension
- Sort By Size
- Sort by Date
- Search Format: Choosing the Search Format field you canselect how the file search will interprete the search text:
- Simple: The search functionality looks for file names containing the search text, e.g. "test".
- Wildcard: The search text can contain wildcard characters, e.g. * and ?. The enteredsearch text including wildcards must match the whole filename, e.g. "*test*".
- Regular Expression: The search text is interpreted as regular expression andmust match the whole file name, e.g. ".*test.*".
- Tabulator Width: The tabulator width field sets howthe Text Viewer will expand tabulators to spaces and vice versa whenreading and writing a file.
- Font Size: The font size field allows you to specify thefont size to be used by the text viewer.
- Port Number: The port number field lets you specify theport the Web Server should use.
- iFile Registration Status: Selecting this field lets youget to the iFile registration settings and status. It describes theregistration process, allows you to buy a license - using Cydia Store -, lets you enter the email address to be used for registration, and shows the registration status. As soon as the registration email address got entered, iFile will try to register your deviceat iphone.heinelt.eu the next time you start iFile. It is possible toregister up to three devices per registration email address.
After pressing the button you get into edit mode. Here you can select multiple files or folders as in the Apple Mail Application. A double tap selected/deselects all files in a folder.If you use the file search functionality in this mode, you can use all editing functionality on the search results as described below.
By pressing thebutton you can create files, folders and symbolic links. The accordingform allows you to set name, type, ownership and access rights.
By pressing thebutton you can delete the selected files and folders. After confirmation the selected files will be deleted.
Copy, Cut, Paste, Link
If you want to copy, link or cut (move) files or directories, you need toselect one or more files or directories and press the button.
Then you leave the edit mode, navigate to the directory whereyou want to copy or move the previously selected files to, enteredit mode with and press again the button.
Please note that the copy functionality uses the iPhone's global clipboard.Thus, the copied file names can also be pasted in other applications.
When you want to add selected files or folders to a ZIP file, press thebutton, enter a file name (without extension .zip) for the ZIP file andpress Create. By default the file name of the first selected item isshown in the form.
To add selected files to an email as attachments, press thebutton. Apple MobileMail will come up with the selected files alreadyattached. You only need to choose the recipient and to press Send.
If you want to change the name of a file or directory or its fileattributes, press thebutton.
For directories you will have the option to change the file permissions and ownership hierarchically:
- This applies user and group to all directories and files in the hierarchy.
- For subdirectories permissions will be set identically to the ones of the top directory.
- For files permissions get set only in respect to read and write as set on top directory. If a file was already executable, it remains executable. Sticky bits get set as on the top level directory.
In case of images or videos (starting with iPhoneOS 3.1) you will alsosee a button that allows you to add the image or video to the iPhone'scamera roll. This way these files will get synchronized with iTunes andvideos can be edited.
If you choose "Open with...", iFile lists you all available viewers.When you select a viewer, the current file will be openedin the chosen viewer.
By pressing thebutton you can access iFile's bookmarking functionality:
- Open iFile and Safari bookmarks.
- Modify iFile bookmarks.
- Add iFile bookmarks.
- Add iFile bookmark folders.
Just tap the button toedit iFile bookmarks, e.g. move, change or delete them.
Add iFile Bookmarks
By pressing thebutton you can add iFile bookmarks.
To get to the manual of iFile press the button.