Why is iKeyEx not working in iFile 0.9.7-1?
- Sometimes the edit button does not change appearance when going into editing. Somehow the edit button forgets its state, i.e. that it is in editing mode or not.
- Sometimes a file remains selected in the browser table. Not cleary reproducible.
Unrar is not working for me in iFile 1.0.0-1. Why?
- iKeyEx has an issue according to the developer in context of applications running as user "root". This is tracked by the developer in issue 102. Unfortunately there is no known workaround that iFile could use to avoid that issue.
How can I register additional iDevices for iFile?
- This is a bug. I fixed it already and will release a 1.0.1 next week.
- Press the Manage Account link in the Cydia tab.
- Login to your Google or Facebook account (whatever you used in the past).
- After pressing the Installable Purchases link, iFile should show up in the list of Purchased Packages. If it does not show up there, you either did not purchase it or you logged in with the wrong Google or Facebook account.
Where can I access files that are stored on a connected USB stick or SD card?
- iFile should now register at next start.
I cannot access my contacts when emailing attachments. How can I fix this?
- If you are using the Camera Connection Kit on your iPad and you connect a USB stick to it or insert an SD card, the iPhoneOS mounts it at /var/mnt/mount1. Just go there with iFile and work with the files, e.g. view them, copy them etc.
I cannot open files from Mail or MobileSafari with iFile (iOS 3.2 or newer). What's wrong?
- Go to /var/mobile/Library
- Press Edit button
- Select AddressBook directory
- Press Action button (lower right button)
- Choose Copy/Link
- Press Done button
- Go to /var/root/Library
- Press Edit button
- Press Action button
- Choose Create Link
- Now you should get all your contacts when emailing attachments.
I don't get the WebDAV server working with Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Why? How can I disable keyboard sound in iFile?
- Check that permissions and ownership of all below directories is as follows
- Owner: mobile
- Group: mobile
- Owner and Group: Read/Write/Execute for Owner, Group
- World: Read/Execute
- /var/mobile/Library/Application Support
- /var/mobile/Library/Application Support/Containers
- /var/mobile/Library/Application Support/Containers/eu.heinelt.ifile
- /var/mobile/Library/Application Support/Containers/eu.heinelt.ifile/Documents
- /var/mobile/Library/Application Support/Containers/eu.heinelt.ifile/Documents/Inbox
- If any of the directories has different ownership or permissions, adjust them.
- If the directories don't exist, create them with above permissions.
My USB pen drive does not get shown in iFile on iPad?
- Just copy the file /var/mobile/Library/preferences/com.apple.preferences.sounds.plist to /var/root/Library/preferences. If it exists there already, check what the existing file contains and keep a backup of it.
iFile crashes at start. What can I do to fix this?
- Apple has limited the allowed power consumption of devices attached to the Camera Connection Kit to 20mA starting with iOS 4.x. As a result you get a warning message telling you that power consumption is too high. Therefore the device will not be mounted and the file system will not be visible in iFile. iFile cannot work around that. Only solution in this case is to use a powered USB hub.
How can I reset the registration status of iFile?How can I import songs to my iPod Library with iFile?
- Please perform a respring or a reboot. This should fix the issue. If the issue persists, use another file manager to remove iFile's preferences file /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/eu.heinelt.ifile.plist. Make sure that iFile is not in background while deleting the file.
Thumbnails don't seem to work. Why?
- You must have purchased iFile (until iFile 1.8.1-1) or have iFile 1.9.0-1 or later installed that offers the functionality for free.
- The import is based on the Gremlin Framework (iOS 6+). If it is not installed, iFile will not show the associated buttons in the Attributes Editor (at bottom for audio and video files) and Audio Player (tap cover to see the iPod button).
- You must be at least on iOS 6.0 to get the Gremlin Framework working.
- Check out CocoaNuts Apps Home Page and Twitter account for news.
iFile remains in background on iOS 6.x when I kill it with the iOS task switcher. What can I do?
- Most likely the reason is either that you have not enabled the feature in iFile's preferences or that you have set the thumbnail limit to zero. In this case, choose a value of e.g. 1000000, i.e. the maximum file size for that a thumbnail will be generated.
This is a glitch for apps running as super user on iOS 6: iOS simply does not kill them on first attempt. Here is what you need to do:
iFile registers at every start. How can I avoid this?
- Kill iFile using the iOS task switcher: iFile goes into background.
- Open iFile once more.
- Press the Home button.
- iFile got terminated by iOS.
This means that iFile cannot overwrite your preferences file to store the registration code or the file is corrupt. To fix this do following:
iFile 2.x does not register on iOS 7.x. What can I do?
- Kill iFile using the iOS task switcher (see also previous FAQ item regarding this)
- Delete the file /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/eu.heinelt.ifile.plist without iFile, but with some other app or tool.
- Start iFile and wait until it shows the registration alert.
This can have multiple reasons:
I'm trying to edit a game status file in iFile's text editor, but it shows only strange characters. What can I do?
- You have not purchased a license for iFile in Cydia Store yet.
- You have not used Manage Account in Cydia on your iDevice to activate the license yet.
- You have used an illegal cracked version of iFile previously and the Email field in iFile's Preferences->Registration Status is not empty.
- The registration server is currently overloaded or your internet connection is slow so that the registration just takes a bit more time. Just wait in iFile to get a confirmation dialog.
- You have purchased iFile in Cydia Store and have entered your PayPal email address in iFile's Registration Status form: You don't need to do that. Remove the email address there again.
You are trying to edit a binary file in a text editor, e.g. Clash of Clans is using the CSV file extension, but its developers have changed the file format from a text based human readable format to a proprietary binary format. Thus, you can edit such file only with a Hex Editor and only when you understand the format. If you really want to edit such file with iFile's Hex Editor, make sure that you keep a backup of the original file in case you screw up the original file. You can find the Hex Editor in the Attributes Editor
when you press Open with...
Just press the small info button to show the Attributes Editor
for a file.